Tuesday 2 September 2014

Changing lanes


If past three years have taught me anything, then I'd have to say it's the ability to become highly adaptable. Life doesn't stay the same for anyone for too long, but with lupus you learn to live life not so much on a knife edge, but with eyes in the back of your head prepared for any sudden change, whilst at the same time looking forward to what is normality.  Less life in the fast lane and more life facing the on coming traffic.
These past few weeks again have given me the opportunity to use my chameleon like powers of adaptability and begin some new adventures on a different medication.
For multiple reasons my consultant and I have decided to put me on the slightly friendlier drug Azathioprine. Easily done yes? No.

Whilst friendlier than my predecessor (mycophenolate) it still has a habit of causing some nasty problems such as messing with my platelets, lymphocytes and my bone narrow, potentially making me sicker and buggering my liver. So you get a clear idea of what I'm dealing with (this is just one of eight medications I take)  Here's a lovely list of side affects and how I'm getting on:
  • Feeling extremely tired or dizzy, being sick, diarrhoea, fever, muscle pain or stiffness, skin rash, kidney problems (dark urine) - No, aside from luminous wee like I've overdosed on Berroca (very normal apparently)
  • Feeling unwell, a high temperature or symptoms of an infection. - tap dancing to work generally.
  • Unexpected bruising or bleeding.These are symptoms of bone marrow suppression. Let your doctor know about this straightaway. - Nope, i'm just clumsy. All bruised strongly associated painful fuckwit moments of walking in to things.
  • Loss of hair. Sadly yes, it's thinning a bit and the shower drain looks like Wally the werewolf has had a wash, but i'm not worrying overly, I've danced to that tune before and i'm hoping my long locks will cover the damage underneath.
  • Black, tarry stools - eeeessh no!
  • bleeding gums - and sore too, good job I can't eat salt & vinegar crisps.
  • blood in the urine or stools - again, thankfully all good.
  • chest pain - no.
  • cough or hoarseness - no.
  • lower back or side pain - nothing that isn't related to moving stock boxes at work.
  • painful or difficult urination - I don't think going 10 times a day is 'difficult'.
  • pinpoint red spots on the skin - only if Mark hasn't had shave and has fallen asleep on my arm.
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth - always pink and minty fresh.
  • swollen glands - well, we'll see as winter approaches.
  • unusual tiredness or weakness - stupid side affect for someone who already has an illness that makes you unusually tired and weak.
  • clay-colored stools - what is the obsession with bowel movements?
  • decreased appetite - I wish.
  • fast heartbeat - Only when Mark doesn't put his pants in the laundry basket.
  • headaches - yes.. 
  • itching - a little to start.
  • muscle or joint pain - again, hellooo? have luuupus.
  • nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (severe) - more poo stuff, really? I did feel a bit yacky the first few days but I never lost my lunch thankfully.
  • redness or blisters on the skin - no.
  • swelling of the feet or lower legs - thankfully no.
NB: I do make light of this to give us a laugh but a lot of these symptoms can mean serious problems, please see a doctor if you are concerned about any side affects you are experiencing.

So it meant weekly blood tests for a month, which also coincided with bloods at the hospital for renal clinics, meaning I've spent every spare moment at the GP or York District, almost tempting to pop into Blacks and pick up a tent. Since 24th June I've had:
2 Renal clinics (hospital)
TPMT bloods (hospital)
X2 GP appointment to set up weekly bloods and prescriptions
4 blood tests at surgery
1 other hospital
2 phonecalls with GP
1 cross email to GP (screwed up meds)
But now 7 weeks in it's proving it's worth and despite it doing the exact same job as it's predecessor, I actually feel really well. My energy levels are good and it feels like something has shifted. Like a fog that has been clinging has been blown away, blood tests are now monthly so are not taking over my life and my veins.
There's always that niggling concern that it could all go tits up and my body won't like it but the benefit far outweighs that worry. And as I said to my doctor in my very dry and slightly skewed sense of positivity..I've had that much crap pumped into me over the past 4 years surely my body is used to it by now?

No comments:

Post a Comment